Monday 24 December 2012

A Clash of Kings



by George R. R. Martin
Fantasy
Random House Publishing Group, 2011
1009 pages - 10,99 $

En français ici

Why this book 

Because after having enjoyed the first book, I did not want to stop there. I love  series, because it gives you all the time and leisure to know the characters and love (or hate) them. To read a sequel, it's a bit like getting friends at home: hours of fun - well, normally, if not... you might want to read the Marquis de Sade.  I could not wait to plunge into the world so complete and complex of Martin.

Summary

A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. And from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles.

What I think of it

Once again I have not been disappointed. Martin is truly a master in story telling. We are spellbound throughout the book. I love the way paragraphs succede each other according to the points of view of characters. It's different and it avoids the chronological appearance in most other novels. There may be two actions simultaneously, but in different places and I like very much this impression to see the unfolding of the story through the eyes of the characters.

Another plus point for which the author is known, nobody is totally good or totally bad, everyone has their reasons. At first I was afraid of the result - because yes, I like that the heroes are heroes unconditionally - but ultimately one can be closer to the characters, because let's face it, it is not easy to compare oneself to a hero without fear and without reproach (especially the blameless side...)

In any case, the 1000 pages of the book go like lightning. I loved Tyron Lannister and his rogue intelligence, I wondered if Arya would return one day to her family, I felt like killing Theon - but then he was looking for trouble - I exulted when Robb became king of the north, I was afraid for Jon ... what amount of emotions experienced! Finally, the only one that I like less is Bran, but perhaps it will eventually revealed something of his adventures.

Let's be brief

A sequel not to be missed ... but honestly, if you've read this book, it's that you have already read the first ... and I do not have much to say to convince you of the quality of this story!

No comments:

Post a Comment