Sunday 15 September 2013

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril, VIII


For the first time on my blog, I'm going to participate to a challenge, created by Carl whose blog is here.

En français ici

Carl explains how the challenge was created :  

" Eight years ago I became aware of reading challenges and wanted to start one of my own, hoping to find others who shared my Autumnal predilection for the works of Edgar Allen Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Bram Stoker and other authors contemporary and classic who captured the spirit of gothic literature. All these years later we are still going strong, welcoming September with a time of coming together to share our favorite mysteries, detective stories, horror stories, dark fantasies, and everything in between.
I welcome you to join us. "

The challenge takes place between the 1st of September till the 31 of October. In those autumnal months, what's better than some chilling reads ? The challenge blog is here, where bloggers can put the link to their reviews. 

Here's the different king of readings for that challenge: 

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.

Two very simple rules : 

1. Have fun reading (and watching).
2. Share that fun with others.

I chose to participate to Peril the first for which you have to : 
Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (the very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be King or Conan Doyle, Penny or Poe, Chandler or Collins, Lovecraft or Leroux…or anyone in between.




For those of you that may want to participate but don't feel like reading four books, suffice to know that there are others challenge (read two books, read one book, watch a film or a series...) Isn't that great ?

As I have a lot of books in my TBR (like a lot really...) here's the ones I decided to read:

I'm sure to begin with Alex by Pierre Lemaitre (as I've already began the book !) 


L'enfant des cimetière by Cédric Sire (another French one) that  looks really dark and the kind to put in a fantastic gothic thriller... I don't think I'll be bored with this one! 



Then a book by Chris F. Holm (yay!) Dead Letters, a collection of short stories (which is a challenge by itself as I don't read short story normally... which proves how much I love his work!)


And Don't look back by Karin Fossum, a Norwegian author I never read but of whom I heard a lot of excellent things! 


And voilà ! With that my autumn should be thrilling! That's a period of time when I enjoy the most rainy days!

---

Edit : I wanted to read Dead Letters by Chris F. Holm but the size of the text was too small for my mini ebook so I changed for The Clearing by Dan Newman



No comments:

Post a Comment